Thanks to COVID-19, we’re all spending a lot more time indoors these days. And while it’s for a good reason, many of us certainly miss being out in the world.
Sure, Netflix, books, and indoor hobbies can help pass the time, but that doesn’t mean we don’t feel like we’re missing out on exciting things in the world. Or, worse, we’re just downright bored.
But not to worry! Thanks to the marvels of the modern age, the internet can bring many things that can help us to get that much-needed culture. Artists are broadcasting directly into our homes, museums are offering virtual tours, live plays are being streamed, and more! We may not be able to go out into the world, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be able to experience it! Heck, why limit yourself to our world? Let’s check out Mars!
Here is a list of some of our favorite ways to utilize the internet during this time of social distancing:
- Upcoming Live Virtual Concerts – NPR’s ongoing list of live virtual concerts. Garth Brooks, Fred Hersch, Ben Gibbard, and more! This list is continually updated, so be sure to check it often for your favorite performers.
- Explore National Parks – National Parks have been closed because of the coronavirus, but you can still venture into these beautiful areas thanks to the virtual tours they have set up! See Big Bend, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Gettysburg, and more from the comfort of your own home!
- See Shakespeare at The Globe Theater – The Globe theater offers classic Shakespearian plays for you to rent or purchase. You can enjoy tragedies, comedies, and all of Shakespeare’s impressive library from the best seat in the house!
- See Animals – Animal lover? You can now live stream different animals, visit zoos, and check out aquariums online! Be sure to check out things such as the San Diego Zoo live cameras, Monterey Bay Aquarium live cameras, Atlanta Zoo Panda Cam, Houston Zoo Web Cams, or the Georgia Aquarium webcams! This is far from comprehensive, so be sure to check your favorite zoos and aquariums for their own streams.
- See The Louvre – The most famous museum in the world offers incredible looks at their current exhibits! See Egyptian Antiquities, Remains of the Louvre’s Moat, or The Galerie d’Apollon!
- Leave Earth and Explore Mars – NASA’s Curiosity Rover has given humanity a look at the red planet that we’ve never had before. It’s truly a magnificent sight and one that we should all experience. Our closest neighbor is an astounding view.
- More concerts! Are you following your favorite artists’ social media pages? Be sure to check it out because they may randomly decide to live stream from their own home! Nothing like having John Legend appear in your feed with a song in his robe to brighten up your day.
- Personalities Making the Most of It – The internet is full of creative and funny people, like this rugby announcer utilizing his talents to announce everyday activities. Others, like celebrities, have been reading stories online, doing fundraising, and singing collaborations to keep spirits up.
Hopefully, these alternatives to binge-watching shows and movies will give you plenty to do while you are social distancing from others! We may have to keep six feet apart, but there is still so much of the world at your fingertips.
Leave a comment below of the most interesting thing you’ve discovered online to pass the time!